Thursday, February 10, 2011

Dakota James Micheal Webb

I was only 9 years old, on Tuesday September 6th 2002 it was 5 in the morning when I heard the phone ring. I didn't know who the heck was calling that early and why!
I heard my mom get up and answer the phone, she was half asleep, and after she said hello, i remember her saying! "Get to the hospital, we will be there as soon as possible!". 
My sister called and told my mom she thought she was in labour... 
We quickly got ready and headed to the PTBO Hospital, where my sister was. I was so excited, my nephew was on his way! 
We got to the hospital and as we were going up the elevator we heard my sister screaming in pain! 
My mom ran into the delivery room and stayed with my sister, then shortly after 6:00am my mom came out and said that my nephew was born!  Dakota James Micheal Webb
He was taken into the ICU, he was having troubles breathing on his own and had a bad case of jaundice. After my sister was all cleaned up we all went over to the ICU to meet my nephew!
I was such a proud aunt at the time! I could believe that I was there when he was born, and I was one of the very first people to meet him.
Within a couple days he was home with us! Things were so exciting! He was growing up in my house, so everyday after school I would rush home just to help out with him, and do anything to be with him. 
My sister decided in December she was ready to move out with her boyfriend and start there family. I remember Christmas morning waking up to my sister and my nephew sitting down stairs around the Christmas tree waiting for me to wake up and surprise me!
It was the best gift ever! 
Shortly after that it was February 11th 2003. My sister never left my nephew alone with ANYONE! 
She was afraid of something happening even just the littlest thing! But she felt that it was safe, because he was going to stay home with his dad, and he was 5 months old... What could go wrong if you only go out for a couple hours. 

Well my sister went out with a couple friends, they went out for dinner and an auction. My sister got a phone call to front desk saying there was a call for her. When she got to the desk, she was greeted with 2 police officers who asked to speak to her outside. 

My sister wasn't sure what was going on, when she got outside, the cops called for back up, my sister looked the cops in the eyes and said " what is going on" the officer responded with "we need to take you down to the station and ask you a couple questions" my sister was in shock... she had NO idea what was going on. She then told the officer she wasn't going anywhere with out an explanation. The female cop looked at her and said "There is no other way to put this, but we got a call and your son passed away" My sister dropped, she didn't know what to think. The cops put her into the back of the cruiser and took her down to the station. Once she got there my dad was there, and had no idea what was going on. The cops informed my dad, and told him that they needed to ask Tara(my sister) a couple questions. The police asked my father, where my mom was, and that my sister wanted her there. So the cops and my dad went to my Grandmothers house, where my mom was staying, to inform her on everything. My mom wasn't sure on how she was suppose to react, she at first thought that he was just sick and in Sick Kids hospital.
That night I was staying at my grandmothers house in Port Hope, while my dad was working and my mom was at her mom's place.
I remember this day so clearly....
The phone rang around 6 as we were all getting up. My grandmother went to answer it, she was about to head down stairs and she fell and started crying. Not knowing what was going on, I just kept asking if everything was alright. That morning at breakfast was the most awkward breakfast ever! 
No one talked... and when someone would, it would just stay silent. 
My grandmother couldn't tell us what was going on, my dad wanted to be the one who  told us...
Later that day at school, my brother and I were called down to the office, where my dad and a children's aid worker was standing there. They took my brother and I into the library and sat us down and told us what was going on. 
My dad told us to go back to class and grab our stuff, we wouldn't be going back to school for a couple weeks. 
As i was walking down the hall i was crying so hard, I dropped to the floor and started bawling. 
I remember going home, and seeing my sister sit in the living room, and cry. She didn't want to see anyone, so i walked up to her, and gave her a hug! Told her i loved her!
My sister grabbed me and told me she loved me!
As the day went on things were just getting harder and harder. 
The day of the funeral was the hardest day of my life. I got to go up and say my goodbyes and tell him how much i loved him and would do anything to take his place and put my favourite stuffed animal in his casket with him, so he would remember me forever!
He didn't deserve to go! 
I remember the service, and everyone speaking and talking about how much they loved him, and all the cute things he did, and how he was grandpa's bobble head, and grandma's alien. And how he would always be in our hearts and would always be missed by everyone!
After people were done talking and the pallbearers took my nephew to the hearse, i remember everyone crying and my sister dropping to the ground! 
It was the worst thing to ever experience. 

My nephew didn't deserve to be taken from us. My family didn't deserve to have to go through that. 

Dakota would be 8 now, he would be such a proud big brother. He would be the most beautiful little boy ever! 

Dakota, i know you are looking down on us everyday, encouraging us to keep going and move foward, and not let silly things hold us back! 
But i wish you were here with us! 
Nothing will ever change the way I feel!
I miss you baby boy!!
 

R.I.P 
Dakota James Micheal Webb
September 6th 2002 - February 11th 2003 
5 months 5 days!

No comments:

Post a Comment